Some “essential questions” to open the conversation
- With two sources of water – local wells and the MWRA – Needham very rarely encounters water shortages. But there are water supply challenges in our region, and certainly beyond.
- Should we be more focused on conserving water (and reducing our consumption) even though we have enough for ourselves in Needham?
- Treating our wastewater is expensive (about ¾ of the average resident’s water bill) and uses a significant amount of energy. Serious environmental damage can be caused when the volume of sewage and water runoff exceeds the capacity of a treatment plant.
- What are your thoughts about retreating wastewater for use?
- Cynthia Andre, Babson College
- Kevin Sheng, Needham High School
- Vincent Roy – Superintendant of Needham Water & Sewer Division
- Massachusetts Energy and Environmental Affairs – Preserving Water Resources
Breakout Group Basics