The Downtown Streetscape Committee was formed in December 2012 to provide guidance and make recommendations to the Needham Board of Selectmen regarding improvements and changes to the streetscape in Needham Center. The overall goal is to improve the logistics of downtown vehicle and pedestrian traffic, and to make the street-level experience in the downtown more enjoyable, user-friendly, and attractive to both businesses and residents. The preliminary design plan should be completed around July, 2013.
Residents’ comments and ideas are welcome and important. Use our Comment feature, below, to offer your suggestions. We’ll assemble the comments we receive and send them along to the committee.
The formation of this committee follows on the development of downtown design guidelines and the changes to the downtown zoning that have taken place over the past 15+ years. The Committee will focus on the following elements in its deliberations:
- Design – composition, architecture, historic preservation, usability
- Accessibility – handicap access, bicycle and pedestrian access/safety
- Traffic and parking control – traffic flow, signal upgrades and coordination, parking availability, snow removal, maintainability
- Safety – lighting, signage, special event accommodations
- Amenities and attraction – landscaping, street furniture, street-level amenities (broader sidewalks, seating, etc)
The committee consists of twelve members, including representatives of town boards, and downtown business and property owners. Members of the public are welcome to attend the meetings of the Working Group and to provide comment, feedback and suggestions. Meeting schedules, meeting minutes, the group member list, and other documents are available here on the Town’s website.