There are three things you can do this week to make a powerful difference to climate change legislature in Massachusetts. Please consider doing at least one.
We know that climate change and the continued use of fossil fuels are already endangering the lives and well-being of citizens today, and will become worse. With the urgency of the issue and the lack of leadership from Washington, states need to do more. There are currently five environmental bills being considered by the Massachusetts legislature that would implement meaningful climate action. These bills:
- Move toward 50% of the state’s energy needs being met with clean energy by 2030 – H2700/S1876
- Advance environmental justice – H2913/S426
- Reform the Department of Public Utilities – H3400/S1847
- Ensure all communities can access solar energy – H3396/S1831
- Fully implement the Global Warming Solutions Act – H2149/S479
Massachusetts needs your vocal support to ensure these bills will pass. Here is what you can do:
1. Go to Rep. Denise Garlick’s “Report to the Community” event at Town Hall, Needham, Monday February 12, at 7 PM to thank her for co-sponsoring several of these bills and encourage her to nudge colleagues who are on the fence.
2. Go to the Statehouse Wednesday, February 14, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m for Mass Power Forward’s Clean Energy Lobby Day. Please register so they know which meetings to set up. Register here for the Mass Power Forward Valentine’s Day Lobby Day.
3. No time? No problem. Call your legislators between Feb 13th and Feb 15th and ask them to support these five bills, or thank them for their support of these bills. Suggested talking points here.
All Needham residents: Call Representative Denise Garlick: 617-722-2060 (thank her for her support and co-sponsorship)
Living in precincts D, E, F, G, H: call Senator Mike Rush at 617-722-1348 (thank him for his support and co-sponsorship)
Living in precincts A, B, C, I, J: Call Senator Richard Ross at 617-722-1555 (ask him for his support)
We hope to celebrate the passing of these bills with you later in the year! But we need your action to make it happen!