Home Energy Savings
A classic win-win opportunity
Please see the Home Energy Assessments page for an important update.
Green Needham’s Home Energy Savings program aims to:
- Increase the number of homeowners taking advantage of Mass Save® no-cost home energy assessments
- Help homeowners who get assessments maximize the energy savings they get through follow-up measures such as weatherization, insulation and equipment upgrades
Green Needham’s success so far: 1020 (as of 08/2015) and counting!
During 2015, 259 Needham households have had their no-cost home energy assessments, and 100 have followed up with weatherization, such as insulation and air sealing. This translates to reduced utility bills — an estimated total savings of $47,020 every year and an annual reduction of 250 tons of CO2.
Home Energy Savings Team
Green Needham’s Home Energy Savings Team, (HEST) encourages Needham residents to get their no-cost energy assessment. Join your neighbors who have already done this, and are now saving money and energy every month on their electric bills. Not only are energy-efficiency measures provided during the assessments, so that residents can start saving energy and money immediately, but much of the cost of follow-up measures recommended by the assessment is paid for by the Mass Save program!
The team’s goals include the following:
- Encourage more Needham residents to get a no-cost energy audit.
- Increase the number of people who have insulation or other follow-up work done after their home energy audit.
- Educate residents about larger energy-saving undertakings such as boiler replacements, and the use of newer technologies to achieve additional energy savings in their homes.
- Continue to inform Needham residents about ways to save energy, helping Needham reduce the output of carbon from the use of fossil fuels.
Mass Save Program
Mass Save is the state agency that administers our energy efficiency programs. Electric customers pay a small “energy efficiency” charge every month on their electric bill, which pays for the programs. Since you are already paying for it, you should take advantage of it!
Here’s how it works:
- Call Mass Save at 866-527-SAVE (7283) to schedule a no-cost, detailed home energy assessment, or visit their website to get more information.
- The no-cost assessment is available to all residents in 1-4 family homes, whether they have gas, electric or oil heat. (Contact Mass Save if you live in an apartment or condo complex.)
- Already had an assessment? Homeowners are eligible for another assessment every 24 months.
- Your home energy advisor will provide:
- A top-to-bottom assessment of your home’s energy efficiency, followed by detailed recommendations for energy-savings opportunities.
- Complimentary “Instant Savings” such as compact fluorescent lights, setback thermostats, showerheads, LED lights, “smart” power strips, and faucet aerators will be installed at no charge.
- If your home needs air sealing, it will be done at no charge to you. The home energy advisor will provide a complete scope of work, schedule the work with you and, in most cases, will arrange for inspection when the work is completed.
- If your home needs insulation, the Mass Save program will pay 75% of the total cost, up to $2,000. The home energy advisor will provide a complete scope of the proposed work, schedule the work with you and, in most cases, arrange for inspection when the work is completed.
- Recommendations for upgrades to appliances, hot water and heating systems, as needed.
- Generous rebates on qualifying energy-efficient heating and hot water heating equipment.
- The opportunity to apply for 0% financing for eligible measures through the HEAT loan program.
- Detailed information about available rebates and incentives.
Check out Mass Save’s Online Home Energy Assessment and create your home energy profile. You’ll get an estimate of potential energy savings and cost-effective upgrade advice!
Green Needham’s Home Energy Savings Team welcomes new ideas and energy as we help Needham take home energy savings to the next level. Activities include helping organize educational events, attending local events to solicit signups for no-cost energy assessments, writing and editing publicity materials, using social media to share successes and encourage friends and neighbors, doing outreach to businesses, and thinking of creative ways to reach more Needham residents. If you would like to get involved or want more information, contact Jim Glickman or Maureen Commane.