59 Bus: Needham Junction to Watertown Square
Where can I go?
- Newton Highlands T Station (Green Line D – Riverside)
- Newton Free Library and Newtonville
- Watertown Square — and an easy connection to Harvard Square via the 71 Bus
- Every day until approximately 7:50 p.m. Buses run about every 30-45 minutes M-F, and less frequently on weekends. See Schedule
- Take a look at the MBTA’s list of “real time” smartphone apps that will tell you when your bus is coming.
Where do I board?
- Bus stops at Needham Junction, Needham Center, Library, Needham Heights and more. To see the stops, go to the Schedule link and click the “Interactive Street Map tab” at the top.
- $1.70 with a Charlie Card (discounted transfer to Riverside line and free transfer to other local buses within 2 hours; the second farebox will recognize you as a continuing passenger)
- $2.00 with a Charlie ticket (free transfer to other local buses)
- $2.00 paying cash on the bus (no free transfer)
- Children eleven and under ride free when accompanied by an adult, with a limit of two children for each adult.
- Fares at 50% discount (and free for the blind/visually impaired) are available for seniors 65+, persons with disabilities, and students, but they need Special cards
- Passes: A monthly bus pass is $55 and a monthly bus/subway pass is $84.50. One-Day ($12) and Seven-day ($21.25) “LinkPasses” for bus/subway are available where Charlie Cards are sold.
How do I pay?
Hard plastic Charlie Cards offer the cheapest fares. Simply tap the card on the fare box or subway gate. They are available at Back Bay, South Station, Park Street and other locations . The card itself is free. Add value with cash or credit card at the fare machines at all subway stations, or online. You can also obtain and add value to a Charlie Card at the Needham Junction ticket office for cash only. (Open M-F 6 a.m. to 9:45 – you can park briefly in front of the station.)
- Paper Charlie Tickets can be purchased at fare vending machines at all subway stops. As with the Charlie Card, you can add value to the Charlie Ticket, but the bus fare is 30 cents higher than with the hard plastic Charlie Card.
- You can pay by cash on board the bus.
- Tip: Charlie Cards expire after 5-10 years (new cards have the 10-year expiration). Tap your card at a Fare Vending Machine and use the Card/Ticket Information button to find the expiration date under the general information section of the screen.
Questions about the Charlie Card or Charlie Ticket?