Over 40% of the food produced in the United States – and the energy, water and money used to produce it – is never used to feed someone – it is wasted somewhere between farm and table. Green Needham’s food waste project aims at the parts of that chain where we can make a difference:
- reducing waste,
- getting food to those in need,
- utilizing the remaining waste for uses such as compost or energy generation.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Massachusetts businesses and institutions disposing of over one ton of commercial organic material per week are required to divert that organic material from disposal as trash. This law has brought focus to the food waste problem and motivated food establishments to find creative solutions to reducing waste.
Food Waste Survey Green Needham members developed an online food waste survey to collect information on how food waste is currently being handled by local food establishments. Businesses and institutions are still encouraged to fill out the survey.
- Food Waste Educational and Informational Programs Meetings and Events held in Needham.
What you can do:
- Reduce food waste at home
- Donate food to those in need at the Needham Community Council’s Food Pantry
- Come to the Toward a Zero Waste Future forum on Wednesday, November 29th at the Library.
We can have a real and lasting impact on reducing food waste in Needham over the next one to two years, but we can’t do it without getting more people involved. Your energy and ideas can make a huge difference in how much we accomplish. If you’d like to help, or just want to know more, please reach out to Jay Delaune, Green Needham’s team leader for Food Waste and Recycling.
Links on the Web
- RecyclingWorks Massachusetts
- RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts is a recycling assistance program designed to help businesses and institutions maximize recycling, reuse, and composting opportunities.
- Needham Recycling and Transfer Station
- Food Pantry at the Needham Community Council
- Help provide food for those in need by donating or volunteering at the Needham Community Council's food pantry
- Boston-area organizations working on food rescue
- Living Green page on food rescue organizations
- On November 29, 2017, a standing-room-only audience packed the Community …
- June 2016 workshop