Green Needham is a community-based volunteer group bringing together people and organizations within the town of Needham to build a more sustainable community through collaborative efforts on energy and the environment.
Through Green Needham, individuals and organizations work together on projects that improve sustainability. Green Needham and its members lead and execute some projects while collaborating organizations take the lead on other projects. Either way, Green Needham's focus in all cases is to ensure that the community is leveraging all its resources to be successful.
Green Needham has also established itself as the visible public face of sustainability efforts throughout the community, so we promote and publicize all significant sustainability projects, not just ones we lead, and we work to connect people, organizations and resources.
Our collaborating organizations, where the afilliation may range from simple information sharing and cross-participation of members to active and formal collaboration on projects and activities, include the following:
- Olin College
- Needham Public Schools
- Needham League of Women Voters - the League's Climate Action Committee and Green Needham have worked closely together since Green Needham was created, and Green Needham often co-sponsors League Events. The League's Transportation Committee was created in 2008 and is also an active collaborator.
- Town of Needham
- Needham Community Farm aimes to create a center for environmental education
- Needham Bikes is a biking advocacy group that promotes the safe and widespread use of bicycles for transportation and recreation in Needham.
- Green Decade Coalition
- Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce - the Chamber's Environment Committee educates and inspires local businesses about ways to incorporate environmentally friendly practices into their daily business operations while saving money at the same time.
- Bay Colony Rail Trail Projectis promoting a rail trail conversion of the unused rail line between Needham and Medfield.
- Massachusetts Climate Action Network (MCAN) - Green Needham is a participating member in MCAN.
A list of all collaborating organizations, with additional detail, is also available here on our wiki.