In 2011-12, Green Needham and Town elected leaders and boards worked to have Needham become a Massachusetts Green Community.
We had the opportunity to be among the leaders taking concrete steps to fighting climate change and building a more sustainable and resilient community. We would have had access to grants to support municipal and school energy efficiency and reduction projects. Based on the experience of comparable communities that became Green Communities at that time, Needham has forgone $1 million in grants since then. 210 Massachusetts cities and towns are now Green Communities. We did not succeed in 2012. It is past time to correct that mistake.
Green Needham has been preparing the ground with Town leaders to have Needham become a Massachusetts Green Community in 2019. We are working with other community organizations and invite everyone to join us in supporting this effort.
Becoming a Green Community will not only address the larger problem of Climate Change, it will also provide the following benefits to Needham:
- Receipt of an approximately $149,000 designation grant
- Eligibility for annual $250,000 competitive grants
- Annual energy savings that free up town resources to help fulfill other core missions
- A more flexible, comprehensive approach to facilities and infrastructure management
- Immediate savings to new home buyers in Needham through lower utility bills
- Lower greenhouse gas emissions
What you can do:
- Learn more about the Green Communities program
- Ask your Town Meeting representatives to support Article 49 to adopt the Stretch Code
- Ask the Select Board to prioritize applying for Green Community status in 2019
Passage of the Stretch Code (Article 49) at the May 2019 Annual Town Meeting s the next step in the Green Communities process. If you’d like to help, or just want to know more, please reach out to us here.
2019 ATM Article 49 – Adopt Stretch Energy Code
Article 49 of the 2019 Annual Town Meeting Warrant - AMEND GENERAL BY-LAW/STRETCH ENERGY CODE
Green Communities FAQs
Map of Green Communities and summary of grants received
This is the current map of green communities in MA and a listing of all the grants they have received.
Select Board 2019-10-16 Meeting Packet – Green Communities Material
Green Communities material from the Select Board meeting packet. It includes the draft GC application (packet pp. 34-57), the GC Working Group's 10/16 presentation slides (packet pp. 58-72), the fuel efficient vehicle policy (packet pp. 73-74) and the summary table for the Energy Reduction plan (packet pp. 75-77).
Stretch Code FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions about the Stretch Energy Code