How many Needham residents have plug-in hybrid or electric vehicles? What manufacturers do they buy from? Thanks to some analysis we did of information available from Massachusetts’ MOR-EV rebate program, we have some answers.
This table includes all qualifying EV & PHEV purchases from 2014 (when the program launched) through the end of August, 2021. As such, it includes almost all of the EVs and plug-in hybrids on the road in Needham. Needham owners of these 280 EVs and plug-in hybrids received a total of $551,000 in rebates.
What are the most popular models?
|Tesla Model 3 – 64||Toyota Prius Prime – 29||Tesla Model S – 25||Chevrolet Bolt EV – 25|
- BEV – Battery Electric Vehicle (all electric)
- PHEV+ – Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle with battery capacity greater than 10 kWh (gasoline & electric)
- PHEV – Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle with battery capacity less than 10 kWh (gasoline & electric)
People thinking about EVs and plug-in hybrids want to know more and would love to hear from others who’ve made the journey. We’ve written about several – but there are many more. Would you like to share your story of EV or PHEV adoption? Reach out to us!
Notes on the table:
This table includes all qualifying EV & PHEV purchases from 2014 (when the program launched) through the end of June, 2021. There are a few areas of potential undercount, in decreasing order of significance:
- As of the beginning of 2020, EVs with a total sales price greater than $50,000 no longer qualified for the program. This would result in an undercount of Tesla vehicles because higher end Teslas (Model S and some longer-range Model 3’s and Model Y’s)would exceed this threshhold. Therefore there are almost certainly more Teslas than the total here.
- Plug-in hybrids purchased before the MOR-EV program was available – including earlier models of the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight – would not be listed.
- The MOR-EV program used up available funding in the 2nd half of 2019. It was re-funded at the beginning of 2020. Any vehicles purchased during the time funding was unavailable (a few months at most) would not be included. This is likely a very small number.