Plastic Bag Ban
Eliminating single-use plastic bags in Needham
Needham has an opportunity to join 55 other Massachusetts communities – including our neighbors Natick, Newton and Wellesley – in implementing a ban on single-use plastic bags. This effort was initiated by a team of Needham High School seniors in 2016. Green Needham has assembled a team to see this very worthwhile project through to a successful conclusion.
Secure passage of a Town By-Law eliminating single-use plastic checkout bags
- Work with the Board of Selectmen and the Town Manager to place a by-law on the warrant for the May 2018 Annual Town Meeting that would eiminate single-use plastic checkout bags
- Work with Needham’s retail businesses to understand and address their concerns about the elimination of single-use plastic bags; find and help implement solutions to those concerns
- Gain the support of other town boards and committees – Board of Health, Finance Committee, Economic Development Advisory Committee and others
- Advocate for and gain support from Town Meeting members to secure passage of the by-law at May 2018 Annual Town Meeting
Help residents and retailers embrace reusable bags and packaging for all their shopping
- We don’t want to just get rid of something “bad” (single-use plastic bags), we want to make it possible and easy for everyone to embrace bringing and using “reusable” bags and packaging for all their shopping.
What you can do:
- Remember your reusable bags when you shop!
- Let merchants know you support eliminating single-use plastic bags
- Once a proposed by-law is under discussion by Town Boards, let them know you support it.
- Once a by-law is on the Town Meeting warrant, let your Town Members know you support it.
If you would like to join the team or help this effort in any way, please contact Rob Fernandez, Green Needham’s team leader for the Plastic Bag Ban project.
- Why a plastic bag ban? Explains why plastic bags are a problem, the benefits of banning plastic bags and the original proposal developed by the student team.
Draft Needham plastic bag bylaw for discussion
As drafted by the project team 10/9/17.
Natick Board of Health Regulation – Chapter 27
Natick's single-use plastic checkout bag reduction regulation
Newton Plastic Bag Ordinance
Newton's plastic bag ban ordinance, approved by the Board of Alderman and the Mayor in January, 2016.
Plastic Bag Flyer – Created by Chris Thomas
SD 1104 Proposed Statewide Plastic Bag Ban
Senator Jamie Eldridge's Plastic Bag Ban bill, filed 1/19/17.
Story of Wellesley Bag Ban
Student Team’s Description of the Cause
Describes the public health issue with the use of plastics.
Links on the Web
- Trailer for the documentary film "Bag It"
- Mass Green - Plastic Bag Ban resources for Massachusetts communities
- Provides extensive information on plastic bags and bans, including by-laws and ordinances passed in other Massachusetts towns and cities.