Over 50 people participated in Green Needham’s Solar 101 workshop held at the Broadmeadow School auditorium on March 20th, 2013. View the story from the Needham Channel News to see and hear from some of those who attended the session.
Green Needham’s Michael Greis and Nick Hill presented the workshop material, featuring:
- Fundamentals of solar PV (photovoltaic) and solar thermal systems
- What makes a house a good candidate for solar
- Questions to consider before proceeding
- Building code considerations, with Needham Building Commissioner David Roche
- Financial options, issues and scenarios – PPA and purchase
- Preview of Solarize Needham
After the presentation, attendees were invited to “meet and greet” Needham neighbors who have installed solar PV systems on their homes and representatives from the companies who installed their systems. Participating in the meet and greet were representatives from:
- Next Step Living
- Real Goods Solar
- Second Generation Energy
- Solar City
- Sunbug Solar
- Sunlight Solar
Resources from the Solar 101 workshop, including copies of the presentation slides, are available on Green Needham’s Solar 101 page. We will update that page from time to time with additional information and resources. The workshop session will be rebroadcast on The Needham Channel; the schedule will be posted on the Solar 101 page as well.